Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What Is This? I Don't Even...



It has been a little while since I posted.  Honestly, I got a little bit wrapped up in this "getting an education" thing I'm trying out.  And so far?  All good.  Well...mostly good.  I'm having some issues with my English prof - namely that he spends about 50% of the class period telling us how the other professors are brainwashing us with their Marxist/Feminist agendas and not really teaching.  Oh, really?  Because it kinda seems like you're just talking shit about your colleagues and not really teaching.  Huh.

Other than that nonsense, though, I really can't complain.  My campus job is awesome (bulletin boards for three days.  Best ever), my classes (with that one exception) are awesome, Family Video is awesome, and my kitties are awesome.

Hey speaking of that, Honey seems to be recovering from his little adventure just fine.  We have a re-check appointment next week, but then he should be good to go.  The doc saved the eyelids in case I wanted to have them tested to find out for sure what they are.  I considered it, but then I made a decision.  It was probably the most mature decision I've had to make in that usually my dad would have had to do this.

I told them not to send them in.  Really, how much better would it be to find out that the tumor was, say, an aggressive form of cancer, than to just not know?  Honey is at least 14 years old.  If we're being realistic, he's maybe got 3 or 4 years left (I'm always hopeful, but seriously).  So if I found out it was cancer, then there would be the question of do we want to treat it with chemo.  And I realized that, at his age, it would just be cruel for me to make a call like that and completely destroy his quality of life, especially since he is so old.  If this were Naughty, who is roughly 3, it would probably be a different story.  But I am just not going to put Honey through that, and so we shall remain blissfully ignorant.

I'm starting to make friends at work.  This is great because not only does it improve my working experience, but I also have people to actually hang out with now.  Not that I can't spend time with my friends that already live here, but many of them have "grown-up" jobs, so it's hard to find the time.

Anyway, this weekend I got to go out with Jenn and Zach and one(?) of their roommates and a couple of their friends.  We had a really nice time on Main at a couple bars.  I got really excited when I found out that their roommate Isaiah is the artist/author of the web comic Nuclear Delight.  It is so awesome.  If you've never read it, I suggest you do so here.  Go on, I'll wait for you.

Are you back?  Great.  Wasn't that nifty?  The guy is a genius.

And speaking of genius, I have constructed yet another masterpiece this evening.  But first, a little back story. See, when I was in college the first time (2006), I bought a Hello Kitty coloring book at Walmart as a joke when I went there with my roommate.  My brother Nathan was coming down to visit just after his birthday (he had turned 21), so I did the college student thing and bought him a shirt at the bookstore.  Then I went hunting for a card.  I couldn't find one that I liked, so I decided to make him one with pictures cut from my Hello Kitty coloring book, some construction paper I borrowed from the Hall Gov office (don't worry, I was the OSA rep - totally legit), colored pencils, and rubber cement.

And so a tradition was born.  Now every year I am tasked with making a new card that is more awesome than the one preceding it.  It doesn't sound like much work, but this project can span several days if I don't plan it well enough.  I pulled out all the stops this year.  I leave you tonight with the final product:






Good night, friends and lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment